Control Systems Specialist
• Assure that Yokogawa control systems logic and equipment are maintained in such a way as to promote safe and efficient unit operations.
• Utilize process control techniques to enhance plant safety, improve operations, and increase profitability.
• Provide technical knowledge and support to assist in identifying and resolving problems within the production facility.
• Lead process control projects to improve plant performance.
• Interact with vendors and suppliers to troubleshoot system issues, develop control strategies, obtain quotes, etc.
• Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Engineering (Chemical, Electrical, Computer, or other related engineering field) OR Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or related non-engineering field OR Associate’s degree in a technically related field with at least 3 years of related experience in a Control System Engineering environment OR for non-degreed individuals a minimum of 5 years of related work experience in Control Systems Engineering will be considered.
• Previous Operations experience in chemical or related industry is desired.
• Strong safety, health, environmental, and security performance.
• Experience in one or both of the following:
o Yokogawa Centum DCS engineering knowledge and experience, including an understanding of instrumentation and electrical
o Data Historian / Database administration knowledge and experience, preferably with Yokogawa Exaquantum PIMS and
• Experience with process control hardware, software, associated computer systems, and infrastructure.
• Experience in designing, developing, testing, and implementing process control solutions, including batch process control logic, system interlocks and permissives, and PLC communication.
• Experience programming in Visual Basic and/or C#.
• Experience troubleshooting and resolving problems related to process control and/or data collection/reporting.
• Experience effectively managing multiple tasks and programs for timely completion.
• Understanding of engineering documents associated with Control Systems and instrumentation such as: P&IDs, loop sheets, specification sheets, logic diagrams, sequence tables, etc.
• Strong ability to work/interface with others, such as operators, engineers, managers, contractors, vendors, sales reps, etc.
• Ability to identify potential problems and implement/coordinate their resolution before they become an issue.
• A continuous enthusiasm and desire to improve processes, systems, self, and team performance.
• Ability to travel to various engineering contractor offices and training facilities.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Prompt, regular, and dependable attendance is an essential function of this job.
2. Perform job duties with utmost regard for safety, health, environmental, and security responsibilities.
3. Provide primary support for DCS and/or Data Historians as assigned by management.
4. Review and assess system issues and make/coordinate necessary corrections or adjustments to configuration or logic.
5. Manage detailed engineering, project procurement, construction, and commissioning for approved projects.
6. Lead, manage, and deliver process control projects on time and within budget that meet scope requirements.
7. Develop and implement changes to process logic, control limits, set points, recipes, data collection/reporting, and other control parameters as requested by technical counsel or management.
8. Continuous improvement of control logic, data acquisition/reporting to increase process safety, efficiency and utilization of resources.
9. Access and make recommendations about configurations, upgrades, and other process changes.
10. Update control logic and data acquisition/reporting to incorporate process equipment additions and modifications.
11. Confer with colleagues and contracts/system integrators involved in control and data acquisition related projects.
12. Perform system software backups and assure the ability to perform disaster recovery as it relates to control and data acquisition system failures.
13. Maintain process data acquisition and long-term data archives.
14. Perform regular review and testing of process safety interlocks.
15. Troubleshoot and/or assist with troubleshooting field instrumentation and other control system or data acquisition components.
16. Perform and/or assist with system acceptance testing, commissioning and start-up.
17. Maintain security and accessibility of control systems
18. Perform periodic preventive maintenance tasks and reporting.
19. Maintain project documentation related to system architecture and database (sequence logic) changes.
20. Develop plant wide standards based on industry standards.
21. Follow plant wide standards for develop DCS logic and operator interfaces
22. Provide after-hours system support to a 24/7/365 production facility.
23. Track, control and document changes to DCS control logic
24. Coach and mentor staff in the use of control system.
25. Prepare and present reports/presentations as requested by management.